Pages

Saturday, 7 July 2012

Children need your PRESENCE more than your PRESENTS.

I have a 17-year-old brother. It's interesting to observe a boy come of age, to changeover to maturity in these crazy times. I am anxious about his future and that if I don't equip him well, if I don't turn a boy into a smart person, he will not prevail in this fast-changing world.
He surprised me yesterday when we were having a chat in the evening. He'd seen that one day I might be talking about health, security and physical strength. And another day I would talk about what an asset and a liability is how financial markets work. And the other day advising him about his future prospects.
"I want be a Billionaire," my brother said to me, staring at a shiny black BMW standing next to our door. "But I don't know where to begin."
I was just surprised about the words coming out of his mouth. But politely I said you begin as you just did: By stating what you wanted, and most of all, by believing in yourself that you can do it. Being clear in your mind about money, how it works, and how to get it."
It just seems like such a big thing to achieve. My pocket money is just Rs.3000- 5000 for a month, depending on your mood, which hardly meets my personal expenses. In a country where inflation is in double figures, unemployment at its highest level unending problem of electricity, big time risk for business.
I said, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.'"
"What do you mean?" He looked surprised.
I said, "It's one of the biggest success secrets out there. It's what I call 'making molehills out of mountains.'"
"Don't you mean 'making mountains out of molehills'?" he said.
"No. That is something which every person does. I want you to do something out of the box. A mountain is a lot harder to conquer than a molehill. So what I want you to do is break up that mountain into many molehills. And if you're disciplined and patient all your molehills will weigh as much as a mountain. You'll just wake up one day and you'll be a Billionaire.
He took out his cell phone and opened the calculator application. I smiled as I figured out what he was doing.
"But bro... that would take me 16,667 years of saving my monthly pocket money to get a Billion rupees. And that's without me spending any of it."
"You get that monthly for doing your chores. In other words, you work for money. It's like I'm your employer."
"Yeah, and when I'm an adult I'll have more money to save."
"Yes, but when you're an adult the things get more expensive, it's not about just saving money. It's about the fact that you're working for money. You need money to work for you; you need to control the time and money of other people to make that Billion before you're too old to enjoy it."
"So don't be scared of going after what you want, because you can do it if you see things right. Don't back away.

“To the person who does not know where he wants to go there is no favorable wind.”

"That's right." Saying this we left out for prayers.

I know we're all busy with our own thoughts in these times, even we are becoming a frustrated nation with lots of social, ethical, psychological curse in our society, But I plead you to consider the challenges your kids, your younger’s face daily as well. They represent YOU; they are our future. We are all children of The Revolution, but this is their time now. Don't squander it.  They need your presence a lot more than your presents.

3 comments:

Fahmina Arshad said...

Naveed, a beautifully written post on a good topic.

Syed Kashif-ul-Hasnain said...

Nice and informative article...

Unknown said...

Thnx Mis Fahmina Arshad.